The St. Mary’s Legacy Clinic is excited to announce that it will begin traveling to Gatlinburg as a regular clinic site. The mobile clinic will visit Gatlinburg on the fourth Thursday of each month, beginning on April 27, 2017. St. Mary Catholic Church, located at 304 Historic Nature Trail, will serve as the partnership site. Primary Care services will be provided at no cost to patients, who are welcome to come from Gatlinburg and surrounding areas. The clinic strictly serves patients who currently have NO health insurance coverage. If you have questions or are interested in scheduling an appointment, please call the clinic office at 865-212-5570. Local volunteers will also be needed to staff the clinic each month during its visit. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer please visit the “Volunteer” tab of this site and download a Volunteer Application. Watch for updates and pictures from our Gatlinburg launch coming up in a few weeks!
Twenty-one volunteer nurses gathered for a Nursing In-Service on Tuesday, February 21st. Topics covered included hypertension protocol, biohazard disposal, use of inhalers, and review of the EKG and Cholestech machines onboard the clinic. The nurses enjoyed hearing from a guest speaker from Mental Health Association of East Tennessee. Many of the nurses appreciated the chance to gather and receive additional training, as well as to collaborate and discuss issues occurring at their various clinic partnership sites. A delicious potluck lunch was enjoyed by all. Special thanks to our Clinical Nurse Manager, Melissa, for organizing the event, and to Eleanor, Star, and volunteers from Catholic High School for their assistance preparing the parish hall.
2016 was a great year for the mobile clinic. After all the patient visits were counted, volunteer hours added up, and value of care totaled… we are please to offer this snapshot of data we call our ” 2016 Year in Review ” Check it out!
Recently our very own Dana Myers was recognized by the Daughters of the American Revolution as recipient of their Community Service Award. Since the clinic began in January 2014, Dana has been a committed volunteer who has consistently served the community of patients in Athens, TN. Dana has donated 125 hours to volunteering with the St. Mary’s Legacy Clinic. She greets patients with kindness and listens to their struggles with compassion. Dana truly exemplifies the service-minded attitude that the Daughters of the American Revolution represent. Through service to our clinic and our underserved patients, volunteers like Dana are having a direct impact on the health outcomes of our patients and the improvements they make.
Above is a picture of Dana receiving the Community Service Award at her local DAR meeting on December 10, 2016. Pictured with her to her left is Carrie Bright, Chapter Regent and to her right is Susan Pluff, Chapter Member. Congratulations, Dana! We are so proud of you!
Sr. Mariana was grateful to be featured in the Fall/Winter 2016 edition of Catholic Extension Magazine, as she was a finalist for this year’s Lumen Christi Award. The mobile clinic travels to various parts of East Tennessee, where only 3% of the population is Catholic. The mobile clinic allows Sr. Mariana and other volunteers to show the face of the Catholic Church in a nonthreatening way. Beyond offering free health care to those in need, Sister works to uplift the dignity of each patient and help them realize they are a son or daughter of God. Keep up the great work!
The St. Mary’s Legacy Clinic is happy to welcome Melissa Coldiron as our new Clinical Nurse Manager! Melissa is a Registered Nurse who brings a wealth of passion, experience, and knowledge with her. She began this week and is excited to visit each partnership site and meet the wonderful volunteers who serve with us. Be sure to introduce yourself and welcome Melissa the next time the clinic is visiting your community.
The mobile clinic will follow its normal travel schedule during the months of June & July. The clinic will NOT be traveling August 1st – August 26th. During this time the clinic vehicle will undergo annual maintenance and deep cleaning. We will visit Crab Orchard on Tuesday, August 30th and then resume our regular travel schedule for the month of September. We hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable summer!
We recently registered the St. Mary’s Legacy Clinic with the Kroger Community Rewards Program. This is another easy way you can support the clinic. For those of you that do grocery shopping at Kroger stores, you can simply register the rewards card you already use to have a portion of your purchase be donated to the mobile clinic J You will need to know that our NPO number is 20665. Please follow the directions below to designate the St. Mary’s Legacy Clinic as the group you are sponsoring.
TO USE THE KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS PROGRAM:
- Simply register online at krogercommunityrewards.com
- Be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with our organization after you sign up
- If a member does not yet have a Kroger Plus card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger.
- Click on Sign In/Register
- Most participants are new online customers, so they must click on SIGN UP TODAY in the ‘New Customer?’ box.
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on My Account and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Edit Kroger Community Rewards information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter NPO number (20665) or name of organization (St. Mary’s Legacy Clinic), select organization from list and click on confirm.
- To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see your organization’s name on the right side of your information page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for your group until after member(s) register their card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 3 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to their registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.
Thank you for ALL the ways you support the St. Mary’s Legacy Clinic!
The St. Mary’s Legacy Clinic recently was awarded grant funds of over $6,000 from the proceeds of the Knoxville Academy of Medicine Alliance’s “Doc Rock for Health” event. This money will be used to purchase medical equipment, as well as to cover costs of laboratory and pharmacy expenses. With the support of KAMA, our mobile clinic can help patients receive the examinations, medications, supplies, and laboratory work that they need to improve their health.